Friday, March 24, 2017

Misia Sert 1872-1950

Reclining on a thrift shelf in her polka-dot, mega-mutton-sleeved dress - this doll immediately reminded me of Misia Sert and her Gibson Girl visage. Immersed in studies of Les Nabis artists Edouard and Pierre Bonnard, my eyes were immediately drawn to this porcelain person. I finished my artist room study assemblages, shifted gears from painting to sewing - producing an Art Fashion Creation fashion exhibit, then cooled my jets by returning to the mini Misia. For her here, you'll see I kept Misia in the comfort zone of riotous florals, ruffles, and a high collar - but brought her into the present with a slender sleeve cap and some latex capris. Perhaps we'll revisit those mega-mutton-sleeves later with another update. The real Misia was a talented pianist, but her namesake's hands are like mittens. With imagination, the leggings might allow Misia to jog up and down the keyboard creatively. 

For my fellow feline-focused, I've included a photo of Misia outdoors with Number One - my tabby assistant. You'll notice what looks like a piece of the sky unraveling, which is actually a strand of blue tarpaulin unraveling from an artsy bird family's abandoned nest.

Misia with my artist room study assemblage for Edourard Vuillard's "Misia et Vallotton a Villeneuve". Jennifer Hawkins Hock artist room study.


Number One and the unraveling blue sky. Photo Jennifer Hawkins Hock

Misia in the Victorian-inspired minidress with latex capris. Doll ensemble and photo - JHH

Misia on the piano keys - mini ensemble and photo, JHH

"Vallotton Chez les Natanson" - Edouard Vuillard, 1897